This page needs to be more clearly marked and structured like the other disambiguation pages. On first glance, it looks like an ordinary articleand is realy slopt to under stand
I removed the following entry from the Physical and life sciences section:
- Cell Evolution Life laboratory C.E.L.L a alife simulator
In an attempt to correct at least the punctuation and capitalization of this mysterious entry, I checked Google to find further information on what this "alife simulator" might be. The sole hit I got was this Wikipedia article. At the very least, someone should provide a better explanation of what this is and why it should be included in an encyclopedia page. ~ Jeff Q (talk) 13:13, 12 January 2006 (UTC)
I found this article very informative. Does anyone remember who the first person to use the terms cell was?
Does anyone know if a cell can be considered a living thing, even if it's a cell which is part of another living thing?
- You're asking for trouble when you take the question in this direction. When you increase the magnification far enough, life stretches into a spectrum of metabolic and reproductive aspects. Consider the related form of the question that arises in philosophy: is a broken transistor radio a radio or not? If you intend to repair the defective element, then it is; if you don't, it isn't. Philosophy is the punishment for those who persist in posing dictionary style questions beyond the point where intentionality contaminates the proposition. The correct answer is this: grab a brain, think for yourself, and welcome to the club.
If you want you can take my part on it. A cell is the smallest unit capable of all life functions. As in: Homeostasis: Cells maintain an stable internal environment by its Cytoplasm Metabolism: The have a metablolism regulated by proteins. Responsiveness: it is well known that cell reponses to its environment through signaling. Reproduction: Cells reproduce through mitosis, and Meiosis Heredity: They pass genetic material. Growth: cells grow in size until reproduction takes place. Cellular Organization: contrary to popullar believe the structure of a cell is the same as large multicellular organisms.
As the cell has all this seven properties it is normal to believe that a Cell is alive.
Added technology because science was overloaded. Please don't move celular automata into the technology category. It's a fundamental construct that spans philosophy, mathematics, and computer science. I took out the syntactic flourish Cell can refer to: as the contents were spilling off the bottom of the screen and strengthened the defining sentence in casting Cell as a general-purpose constituent metaphor to compensate. Also qualified the biology statement with metabolically-complete because the word smallest has the same impact on the thought process of children that biggest has upon young adults. MaxEnt 20:04, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
Articles beginning with Cell
It seems like this page is being vandalized a lot. I found it funny how it said "blanked this page" for the edit summary. Something should be done about this. Brilliance 05:13, 24 January 2007 (UTC).
- Vandalism is, unfortunately, an inherent part of Wikipedia. There are various tools and groups of people (WP:CVU, WP:RCP) that are more or less dedicated to fighting it. The funny message you saw was an automatic edit summary. Cheers, Wipe 17:30, 24 January 2007 (UTC)
I felt that the main description was a little messy so I cleaned it up a little Finn zee Fox 22:35, 28 May 2007 (UTC)
Edits to page Mar 31, 2008
This is truly a disambiguation page, and is tagged as such, but I'm wondering if it should be moved to Cell (disambiguation) to avoid confusion...
The point of a disambiguation page is not to list every possible definition or use of a particular word in the English language; disambiguation pages are meant to assist a Wikipedia user in finding an existing page whose topic is (or could be) the actual word (or combination of words) used in their search query.
I've removed such links as:
- A fixed-length packet in a cell relay communication network, such as ATM
- A basic unit of a cellular automaton
- An updraft region in a thunderstorm
- A unit of a honeycomb
- A room in a monastery, lived in by a monk or nun
These references are definitions of the word "cell"; they do not providing links to an article on the subject of "cell".
I also removed links such as:
While these terms contain the word "cell" it is doubtful that a person would simply type "cell" in an attempt to find a page on one of these specific topics.
I also created The Cell (disambiguation) and moved references to "The Cell" to that page, then added link to dab page under "See also." Since "cells" also redirects to this page I decided to add an "other uses" soft redirect to The Cells rather than keep it in the main list for "cell". Marchije (talk) 18:10, 31 March 2008 (UTC)
- I reverted some of your changes, since I didn't see any specific explanation on the talk page. Let me write a longer response. Hqb (talk) 18:12, 31 March 2008 (UTC)
- Several of the links you removed (including some you didn't mention in the list above, such as "a unit of a cellular network" or Cell (Dragon Ball)) are valid meanings the word "cell", and the linked-to articles provide in-depth coverage of the concept. A reader wanting more information about a "cell" in telecommunications will not only want a link to cellular telephone, but also an article explaining the underlying concept. One could easily imagine articles named things like Cell (meteorology), Cell (mobile telephony), Cell (ATM), Cell (sociology), etc. and in my opinion it's legitimate to link to the underlying concepts from this dab page, as also suggested in MoS:DAB. I did remove some of the more dubious entries, though; for example, the article at monastery doesn't use the word "cell" at all. Hqb (talk) 18:28, 31 March 2008 (UTC)
Hi everyone. If there is no objection, I would like to move Cell (biology) to be the primary topic for this page. Based on WP:PTOPIC, it gets >50% of the article traffic (as long as Mobile phone is excluded which is far down the page and a less direct connection). I don't think this will be controversial, but I'll leave this message up for a few days just in case. Sunrise (talk) 03:55, 26 December 2013 (UTC)
- Done. Sunrise (talk) 04:35, 7 January 2014 (UTC)
- There is now a discussion here. Sunrise (talk) 05:21, 8 January 2014 (UTC)
- Not primary topic. Page view statistics represent idle internet access bias. Modifying the project to use apparent usage is to chase shadows. --SmokeyJoe (talk) 12:48, 16 January 2014 (UTC)
- @Sunrise and SmokeyJoe: PrimeHunter has since changed the wording to "Cell most often refers to Cell (biology)". This wording heavily implies that it's the primary topic (explicitly means "primary usage" in WP:PTOPIC but leaves open the question of "long-term significance"). If it's not the primary topic, the wording should probably be changed back. – Finnusertop (talk ⋅ contribs) 09:29, 30 October 2021 (UTC)
biology is the study of life
Physis is the the study of relationship between energy and matter Chemistry is the of matters and it's compositions
Spell “cell” “sell”
Semi-protected edit request on 26 September 2021
|This edit request has been answered. Set the |